My Swing Trading Approach
I booked some profits and cut my long exposure yesterday, while adding a short position and making my portfolio “neutral”. I’ll add more short positions today if the current pre-market weakness persists.
VIX – Still pushing lower. That magnetic pull to “10” is still in full effect. Today could change things.
T2108 (% of stocks trading below their 40-day moving average) – Breadth was bullish yesterday, and that filtered into T2108. Still, only 40% of stocks are trading above their 40-day moving average.
Moving averages (SPX): 20-day moving average continues to provide resistance for the S&P 500, everything else has been broken already.
Industries to Watch Today
Autos have shown some favorable price action and chart action of late. Banks stuck in sideways consolidation and untradeable at the moment. Chinese stocks continue their bullish pace. Specialty Retail (i.e. AMZN, BABA, BZUN and EBAY) could see some favorable price action as a result of BABA earnings.
RELATED: Stocks to Watch: AVY CAT AAL
My Market Sentiment
I’m skeptical – I have been this way, the past few days of trading when the market bounce began showing signs of stalling out.
Large caps > Small caps.
S&P 500 Technical Analysis
Current Stock Trading Portfolio Balance:
- 1 long position, 1 short position
Recent Stock Trade Notables:
- United Parcel Service (UPS): Long at 113.58, sold at $114.74 for a 1% profit.
- First Solar (FSLR): Long at $48.07, sold at $49.10 for a 2.1% profit.
- Facebook (FB): Short at $168.31, covered at $170.62 for a 1.3% loss.
- SDS: Long at $49.81, closed at $48.88 for a 1.8% loss.
- SPXU: Long at $14.51, closed at $15.25 for a 5.1% profit.
- Zayo Group (ZAYO): Long at 32.91, closed at 33.83 for a 2.8% profit.
- JP Morgan Chase (JPM): Long at $94.91, closed at $93.83 for a 1.1% loss.
- Bank of America (BAC): Long at $24.48, closed at $25.01 for a 2.2% profit.
- Alibaba Group (BABA): Long at $151.69, closed at $153.43 for a 1.2% profit.
- Salesforce (CRM): Long at $90.86, closed at $89.43 for a 1.5% loss.
- Autodesk (ADSK): Long at $106.45, closed at $111.34 for a 4.6% profit.
- Bank of America (BAC): Long at $23.99, closed at $24.23 for a 1% profit.
- IBB: Long at $313.18, closed at $324.25 for a 3.5% profit.
- SPXU: Long at $14.82, closed at $14.58 for a 1.6% loss.
- Alibaba Group (BABA): Long at $143.65, closed at $150.40 for a 4.7% profit.
- American Airlines (AAL): Long at $49.26, closed at $51.84 for a 5.2% profit
- Intel (INTC) Short at $35.21, covered at $34.46 for a 2.1% profit.
- Nvdia (NVDA): Long at $155.57, closed at $157.53 for a 1.3% profit.
- IBB: Long at $298.24, closed at $303.74 for a 1.8% profit.
- SPXU: Long at $15.68, closed at $15.25 for a 2.7% loss.
- Whirlpool (WHR): Long at $190.46, closed at $195.19 for a 2.5% profit.
- Ferrari (RACE): Long at $84.60, closed at $89.93 for a 6.3% profit.
- Amazon (AMZN): Long at $964.70, closed at $1001.23 for a 3.8% profit.
- American Airlines (AAL): Long at $49.18, closed at $50.62 for a 2.9% profit
- Alibaba Group (BABA): Long at $124.95, closed at $137.51 for a 10.1% profit.
- Starbucks (SBUX): Long at $61.78, closed at $63.68 for a 3.1% profit.
- Western Digital (WDC): Long at $91.24, closed at $89.29 for a 2.1% loss.
- Broadcom (AVGO): Long at $236.65, closed at $241.15 for a 2% profit.
- SPXU: Long at 16.60, closed at $16.98 for a 2.3% profit.
- JP Morgan Chase (JPM): Long at $87.84, closed at $85.98 for a 2.1% loss.
- Micron Technology (MU): Long at $29.00, closed at $28.04 for a 3.3% loss.
- Alibaba Group (BABA): Long at $116.25, closed at $124.09 for a 6.7% profit.
- Southwest Airlines (LUV): Long at $58.35, closed at 57.23 for a 1.9% loss.
- Broadcom (AVGO): Long at $223.63, closed at $228.65 for a 2.2% profit.
- Workday (WDAY): Long at 86.00, closed at 90.32 for a 5% profit.
- Univar (UNVR): Long at $30.96, closed at $32.20 for a 4% profit.
- Alibaba Group (BABA): Long at $111.91, closed at $115.48 for a 3.2% profit.
- Redhat (RHT): Long at $85.21, closed at $87.21 foor a 2.4% profit.
- Darling Ingredients (DAR): Long at $15.19, closed at $14.90 for a 1.9% loss.
- Apple (AAPL): Long at $143.82, closed at $147.11 for a 2.3% profit.
- Teradyne (TER): Long at $31.16, closed at $33.03 for a 6.0% profit.
- UPRO: Long at $92.75, closed at $94.78 for a 2.2% profit.