Pre-market update (updated 8:30am eastern):
- European markets are trading 0.5% lower.
- Asian markets finished -1.0% lower.
- US futures are moderately lower ahead of the bell.
Economic reports due out (all times are eastern): Jobless Claims (8:30am), Personal Income and Outlays (8:30am), EIA Natural Gas Report (10:30am), Kansas City Fed Manufacturing (11am)
Technical Outlook (SPX):
- Once again we had another day of cosolidation…and we’re looking at opening down for the seventh time in the last nine trading sessions
- Bull flag pattern continues to emergeduring that same time period.
- Despite the market showing some fatigue of late, the bias should still be to the long side.
- 30-min chart on SPX shows a well established bullish trend over the past month. Action since 8/21 has the potential for a new channel downward possibly forming.
- If we sell-off again today, watch the 20-day moving average to act as a possible support level for the market, in which bulls try to buy the dip at.
- 10-day moving average has been rather useless of late, largely going ignored by the indices.
- Going forward SPX needs to close above 1422 and take out 1426 recent intraday highs.
- Volume remains at ridiculously low levels – This week has been no better.
- We are well-off of overbought levels – which gives this market plenty of room to run.
- SharePlanner Reversal Indicator received a bullish confirmation signal.
- VIX continues to climb and is at +16.
- One area of concern is the 3 large gaps off of the 6/4 lows that remain unfilled, including 6/6, 7/26, 8/3
- If another sell-off were to ensue, watch for a break and close below 1354 for a new lower-low in the market.
My Opinions & Trades:
- Added V yesterday at 127.18.
- Stopped out of CRM at 144.75 from 150.09
- Current stop-losses have been adjusted across the board.
- Stop-loss in AMZN moved up to $241.00.
- HE Short stop-loss has been has been tightened to 27.40.
- ALXN stop-loss moved up to $100.98
- Remain long RHT at $57.56, FBHS at $24.54, ALXN at $102.53, LXP at $9.21, and AMZN at $233.90. Short HE at $28.45.
- Track my portfolio RealTime here.