Pre-market update (updated 8:30am eastern):
- Europe is trading 0.4% higher. .
- Asian markets traded mixed/flat.
- US futures are trading slightly higher ahead of the bell.
Economic reports due out (all times are eastern): ICSC-Goldman Store Sales (7:45am), Redbook (8:55am)
Technical Outlook (SPX):
- Despite finishing up on the day yesterday, the market had a very bearish tone to it, and saw the market give up more than 80% of its gains.
- A move where you end up near break-even on the day, despite being up over 1% early on is a strong sign the bears are aggressively shorting spikes, and are loading up on short positions.
- Either we squeeze much higher or the bears drive this market much lower - but either way volatility is picking up.
- After yesterday's intraday sell-off, you have what is starting to look like a bear-flag forming on the day. Bulls need to break the previous highs, in order to nullify the pattern.
- Volume has been average of late.
- 30-minute chart is beginning to show the makings of a nice downward channel forming.
- Ideally, bulls need to get price back above the highs or at least near them from yesterday.
- For the bears, Driving price below Friday's lows, and ultimately Wednesday's lows, is ideal for a continuing downtrend.
- VIX is trading back above 16.
- Beyond that there is some (very slight support) at 1428. More significant support lies at 1396 and 1412.
- Fed's QE3 launch is going to add a lot of buying power to this market and drive more people out of interest-bearing assets and into equities in search of some kind of return.
- Going back years, there really is little in the way of resistance for the markets until it tests 1500.
- Upward trend-line off of the 6/4 lows has rising support at 1423
- One area of concern is the 3 large gaps off of the 6/4 lows that remain unfilled, including 6/6, 7/26, 8/3
- If another sell-off were to ensue, watch for a break and close below 1396 for a new lower-low in the market.
My Opinions & Trades:
- I didn't close out any trades yesterday.
- Bought GFA at $4.48.
- Shorted ACTV at 12.17.
- Currently still long in WYNN at $115.42, GRPN at $4.88, TTM at $25.50 and short INVN at $12.14
- Track my portfolio RealTime here.